Relationship property law

Separating can be a difficult process.  Our relationship property team can help to minimise the stress involved.

We specialise in helping you to reach agreement with your partner about the division of your property assets.  At any time before or during your relationship you can enter an agreement with your partner to specify how you want your property to be divided if your relationship ends.  These are generally called “contracting out agreements” because they enable you to contract out of the standard property division rules which apply by law. 

If your relationship has come to an end, we can help you negotiate an agreement with your former partner regarding the division of your property.  Entering such an agreement is the best way to be certain that your property division is a full and final settlement.

The first step with all such agreements is to understand the law and what it means for you.  You are then empowered to negotiate the best deal possible.  Our goal is to provide you with clear and concise advice about your legal rights and options.  We can then help you negotiate and record a fair agreement for the division of your relationship property.  In particular, we can help with:

  • Negotiating and drafting contracting out agreements
  • Negotiating and drafting settlement agreements after separation
  • All related property, commercial and trust transactions
  • Relationship property agreements required for estate planning purposes
  • Providing written opinions and advice about the relationship property legislation

Experts in the field


Matthew Peploe


Direct Dial: +64 7 834 6671


Geraldine Austin


Direct Dial: +64 7 834 2634


Karen Shaw


Direct Dial: +64 7 834 4665